Friday, January 16, 2009

What kind of mother am I?

This afternoon the boys and I were running a few errands and then we were going to go to the park since it was a beautiful 60 degree day. These days the boys don't always want to run into stores with me anymore. Jordan, Corbin and Anderson always grab whatever book they are reading at the time and climb into the van (with the hopes of getting some reading in while mom runs into several stores). Today we stopped to pay a bill, deposit a check and then to buy some spray paint at Home Depot. Jordan, Corbin and Anderson wanted to stay in the van and Caedmon wanted to hold Creedon's balloon for him...so Creedy and I ran into the store. I was in there for about 5 minutes when an unknown number called 3 times(within about 3 seconds of each other). I was hurrying so I hadn't answered the first 2 but I decided should answer the 3rd. The last thing I wanted to hear was, "This is the Broomfield Police...are you in Home Depot right now...and do you have a gold Nissan Quest?" YIKES! I left my things in the cart, grabbed Creedon, and ran out to the van to find 2 police officers talking to Jett! My heart sank for a minute...I had heard of people going to jail for leaving their kids in the car...but Jett is 13! The officers asked a few questions and then said, "Mam, let me tell you that your son is the most articulate 13 year old that I have ever talked with." Next he showed me a piece of paper and asked if Jordan had given him all the proper birthdays (including the year they were born)...and he had gotten them all right! I don't know how, I would have for sure forgotten a few of the years or mixed some up under those circumstances! He then went on to say that the reason they were called was because some lady saw me leave my boys alone in the car and was very concerned. He went on to say that he understood why I felt I could trust Jett and was confident that Jett would know how to handle things in case of an emergency.
Thankfully, I wasn't hauled off to jail today. I haven't talked to many Police men, but I left this conversation as an encouraged mama. Later, Jordan had told me some of the questions they had asked them..."Does your mom work or stay home with you boys?", "Are all of you from the same parents?", "What does your father do?"!
I guess I looked like a bad mother to the lady who was caring for my boys and called me in, but I pray that God used this situation to show the boys as salt and light to these men. I pray that we won't be content to be a "happy" family but that we may be a family that exemplifies Jesus to the world around us.

We did end up going to the park and enjoyed the rest of the beautiful day!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Mary Ellen! It shows you are a great Mother by the way your boys handled the situation. I don't know if I would have been as calm as it sounds you were. That was quite a story.

Wendy said...

Wow! What an encouragment from the Lord...and good thing you answered the phone that third time! Way to go Jordan.

Jessica said...

First of all, 60 degrees!!! Lucky.

Wow Meg...breakin' the law and causing problems in Broomfield already!
I'm not surprised Jordan handled it that way...way to go Jett!

Glad that you're not in jail!

ps. That's grace that you are encouraged by this situation--it's an ecouragement to me how you responded!

Becca said...

Wow! That is so scary! I have to admit to locking the girls in the car under what I believe are reasonable circumstances...always for a super FAST trip in. I don't think I'll do that anymore though! I'm proud of Jordan for being so responsible, and of you for raising him well!

esomara said...

Well done Jordan! You the MAN!

Anonymous said...

Mary Ellen - I just want you to know that reading your blog has brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful life God has brought to you...I remember being in Jr. High or HS at the same time as you during summer camp...and how our moms became friends...and I think I even remember how excited you were when you started dating Tim...not sure why I remember that...anyway...little memories are amazing things and to see how you have received God's blessings...well...I just wanted to say AMEN to a faithful God!